Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Top 11 Moments in 2011: Number 7

Playing with Meerkats!

picture by lance mcneill

 The variety of animals in Botswana is one of my favorite things about this country. I got the opportunity to go on a game drive that takes you to a plain area above the Salt Pans in northern Botswana. This is where we got to see Meerkats (think Timon from The Lion King)!! 

picture by lance mcneill


Meerkats live in "clans" and their clan can be up to 50 members! There is usually an alpha pair and most of the rest of the clan members are offspring of the pair. They are burrowing mammals and will often have a network of tunnels and burrows. They usually come up ground to find tasty bugs and scorpions to eat and play. Usually one or more meerkats will stand on their hind legs to keep watch for predators while the rest of the group plays and hunts. 

picture by e.j. riggs

The guides took us out in the field and we got to sit and watch the meerkats play and run all around us. They were soo cute! If you stay really still they will come up to you and might even climb on top of you! Because Meerkats are soo small they like to stand up on the highest point they can find to look out for predators. At one point while my friends and I were watching them, a meerkat climbed up to the top of my head!!  It was hard not to move as he was getting the best position in my hair.



The Meerkats were so fascinating and fun to watch. I could have sat there for hours and hours watching them. After about an hour we had to get going to see some other cool things on our game drive, but I will always remember my little buddy who decided to use my head as his observation deck!

Be sure to check back tomorrow for Number 6 and if you haven't already seen moments 8, 9, 10 and 11 you should do that too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment