Wednesday, May 23, 2012

2 Weeks...

...the amount of time I have left here in Botswana. After years of having the goal to serve in the Peace Corps, the amount of time it took to go through the application process (1.5 years), and having my dream finally come true, it will all be over 2 weeks from now. 2 weeks from now I will be getting ready to board a plane to come home. I haven't set foot in US soil in over 2 years. As excited as I am to come home and as much as I am looking forward to that feeling of satisfaction of finishing and achieving a goal I had set out for myself, I am also sad to close out this chapter of my life. The past week I have been working on my site report to be handed over to the volunteer who replaces me in Machaneng (which is weird to think about in its self), working on my Description of Service Report, sorting through my stuff, and saying my goodbyes.  Various friends I have made over the past two years have been stopping by to see me before I leave and each time they leave with some of my stuff. My house is becoming less and less mine as the days pass by. My village is throwing me a Goodbye Braii Party this Friday, and I'm really looking forward to spending that time with all my friends in Machaneng. I've never really been great at goodbyes so these past few weeks have been hard. Luckily in this day and age there are things like facebook and email that makes the world a much smaller pace and makes it easier to stay in touch with people from another country. But in the end there are many people who I will more than likely never see again and that makes me sad. Not only will I miss my friends that I have made over here, I am going to miss so much of Botswana and Africa that I have grown to love. In life they say when one door closes another one opens. Hopefully the door that is opening will be just as great as the door that is closing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment