Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Only in Botswana...

As I was walking home from the Jr. Secondary School, one of the teachers stopped and asked if I wanted a ride home since it was getting dark and the school is a little ways from my house. I gladly took the ride and opened the door. As I was sliding into the front passenger seat I looked down and saw some red, orange, and black feathers on the floor. Right away I knew it was a chicken, but then the chicken moved! As I looked closer, I noticed the chicken was bound by its feet and was still alive. It must have startled me or something because the teacher asked if I was afraid of it. I slid the rest of the way into the seat, careful to place my feet as far away from the chicken's beak as possible, and said no. Then I proceeded to ask if this chicken was going to be his dinner tonight. He laughed and said no, but tomorrow he would be eating it. Then we hit a bump and then chicken was startled and flapped up and into my leg. This made me jump a little and probably emit some sort of squeal. The teacher laughed as I once again tried to get as far as away from the chicken. Guess I was slightly afraid of it, mostly because I didn't want it to peck me. The rest of the way he asked me about chickens in America. I think he was asking if they were the same size and I don't really think he understood any of my explanation about chicken farms and hormones that are injected into said chickens. Finally we were at my house and I bid him and his chicken farewell, happy to not have had my toes pecked off. He then invited me to come over to dinner the next night for some chicken. I think I will pass...

No comments:

Post a Comment