Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!


This past weekend I got to get together with a few other volunteers to celebrate Thanksgiving. A guy who works for Voice Of America here in Botswana, was very kind and opened up his swank house to us. It was a nice time to relax, eat some good food, and remember what we are thankful for. Of course I was sad to not be celebrating Thanksgiving with my own family, but this was a pretty nice replacement, and next year I will get to be with them on the holidays again, which makes me super excited!! Here are some of the highlights from the day that I am thankful for:


-Deep frying 9 turkeys and eating massive amounts of good American food
-Having soo much food left over that I got to take some back to Machaneng
-Waking up to the smell of pancakes Sunday morning
-Swimming in the Pool
-Drinking Mimosas and Bloody Marys
-Good Coffee :)
-Watching American Football games, and getting to see one of the Dallas Cowboy Football Players Tackle one of the Cheerleaders!
-Having amazing internet access which allowed me to Skype and say Hi to my Mom's side of the family who were having their Thanksgiving Lunch, some of whom I haven't seen since before I left
-Watching funny youtube videos
-Air conditioning
-Amazing showers
-And spending time with my Peace Corps Family

marinating the turkeys 

Dallas Cowboys and Miami Dolphins Game

the pool

my plate of yummy food :)

pancakes and eggs for breakfast
Before we ate all of us went around and said what we are thankful for. This past year has brought me so many experiences and I have much to be thankful for. Just to name a few:

-All of the new people I have meet and become friends with
-All of the experiences and times of growth I have had here
-Getting to see one of the natural wonders of the world (Victoria Falls)
-My cat "Dijo" who is very entertaining on those boring days
-All of the people who have reached out to me in my village, to make me feel a little more at home
-The kids who come by my house to hangout
-All of the successes be it big or small
-All of the failures, which have taught me to pick myself up and keep trying or try something new
-My family coming to visit for a few weeks, showing them a little bit of what it's like over here
-Having the opportunity to live and serve with the Peace Corps in Botswana
-All the support my friends and family have shown me through this experience. I could not have made it this long with out YOU!

And I could go on forever. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving, and I hope we don't ever stop thinking about what we are thankful for and all the blessings we have in our lives! Thank you to all who are following my journey by reading this blog. I am sorry I haven't been as good about updating, but thanks for reading anyways!

"We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures."  ~Thornton Wilder 

No comments:

Post a Comment