Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11

10 years ago on this day I was sitting in Mr. Wheeler's Freshman Earth Science class. Someone came into the room and whispered something into his ear and he went over to the TV and turned on the news. The next thing I knew the classroom became very silent as we all watched then second plane fly into the second tower of the World Trade Center. As the day went on, I remember most classrooms had kept the TVs on so us students would know what was happening on that fateful day. The seriousness of the events became more evident as the news of death tolls of the innocent American citizens and more details of what was happening came through. I remember the fear of what might happen next. I remember the sadness from classmates who had family members in NYC.  I remember the brave firefighters and policemen who risked their lives to pull people out of the rubble. Most importantly I remember the way the country came together after that fateful day.



On the 10th anniversary of a such a terrible tragedy I wanted to remember and say thank you.  Thank you to the men and women who risked their lives on that day. Thank you to the men and women who volunteer to serve our country even while we are at war.  When asked, they leave their family and friends behind to ensure an attack like this never occurs again. During this day and after I will continue to think of these young men and women. I will also think about their families who also make tremendous sacrifices for our nation. I am thankful that they are out there keeping me and everyone in our beautiful nation safe. Please take some time to remember that fateful day. Have a moment of silence for those whose lives have been lost that day and since. And be proud to be an American, God bless America!

Ground Zero the summer after 9/11
"Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children. “   
- President George W. Bush, November 11, 2001

1 comment: