Friday, March 26, 2010

First Post

Figured I should post something since I've had this for a couple weeks now...


Updated a little bit of my page today. Thought I was pretty computer literate but had a hard time figuring out how to put different gadgets on here. I figured it out after awhile of playing around and now I'm pretty satisfied with my page.

Two weeks till I leave...ahhhh!!! It's hard to believe. I started this whole Peace Corps process November 2008 and its finally going to happen. It's all quite surreal...but regardless it is happening and two weeks from tomorrow I will be on a plane to Philly, PA for my staging. I will be meeting up with other volunteers in the Bots 9 group (we're the 9th group to be sent to Botswana since Peace Corps came in back in 2003). Then in less that 24 hours I will be on a plane to Gaborone, Botswana, where I will be spending the next few months in intense language, cultural, and job training. :) It will be an adventure!

Right now the list of things to do is file my personal property insurance and PACK! Packing is not my favorite thing, as my parents can attest to (when I came home from college last May I never really unpacked everything until about a month ago). I finally cleaned my room though and went through my clothes to figure out which ones were appropriate to bring, but now my room is a mess again with things I need to pack into my luggage. I still need to get a backpack and maybe a rolling duffel. I'm still trying to figure out what all I am going to bring. How do you pack for 2 years? The answer is you don't but it's hard to not want to bring everything. There is a group in facebook called Bots 9 which has been very helpful in my whole getting ready process. It's a group for all the volunteers in my group that I will be going through training with. There are lots of discussion boards about all different topics that one could have questions about with answers from volunteers from the past groups. Its been a godsend. I probably go on there about once a day to find out things to help me get ready for this adventure. I kind of wished I hadn't procrastinated and had already started actually packing things, but oh well, I'll get it. Let's just hope I'm under the weight restrictions (2 checked bags 40 lbs each).

1 comment:

  1. Hope everything goes well for you and your adventure. I'm sure everyone here on 6th Avenue will miss you!!We had fun at your going away party and will enjoy keeping up with your time in Africa. . . .peace and good will. . .Bill and Cindy

    ReplyDelete